Pinterest: not another social network! | Pilgrim’s Moon

Not another social network!

photo credit: sarah g

Perhaps you’re on Facebook or Twitter or Google+ or LinkedIn or all of them and more. Perhaps you’re not on any social network at all and can’t see the point. Perhaps you don’t know what the hell a social network is (click here!).

Are you visual?

If you’re overcommitted and feel like you’re going under for the third time because there’s just so much out there online, you may think I’m completely crazy to suggest you get involved in yet another social network.

But if you’re a visual person I am suggesting exactly that.

Pinterest

After hearing about it but resisting for weeks, I’ve just joined Pinterest. And I love it.

What is it? An online pinboard onto which you can pin any image around the web that inspires you or takes your fancy. Or upload your own images (great for the artists among you!) You can follow others and see what they like, so you get a wonderful cross-fertilisation of visual ideas and styles.

You can set up several different pinboards to group your topics together. For example when you’re decorating your living room and trying to remember that great colour combination you spotted a few weeks back, it’s right there on your “Home ideas” pinboard.

Or if you’re a photographer and get inspired by, say, trees, you can collect a glorious collage of tree images to inspire you.

Female

Another thing that might grab your attention about Pinterest is that unlike almost every other social media site, its membership demographic is currently overwhelmingly female. Eighty percent female to male in fact, and age range mostly in the 25 to 54 bracket. In other words this isn’t a site for teenage male geeks (although of course we love ‘em!).

Tutorial

Using Pinterest is really pretty intuitive, but if you’d like a tutorial, there’s a good one at BlogHer – click here.

Are you already on Pinterest?

My own Pinterest pinboards are still in a fairly embryonic state as I sort out categories and cherry-pick images. But of course I’d love for you to check them out. Click here to find me on Pinterest.

If you’re there too, please leave a link to your boards in the comments: I’d be really interested to follow you and see what’s grabbing your attention.

16 Responses to Not another social network!
  1. roxanne
    January 27, 2012 | 9:49 pm

That’s my Pinterest link. I’ve been on Pinterest for awhile now. Love it.
    roxanne recently posted..Running With Socks OnMy Profile

January 28, 2012 | 12:41 pm

Thanks Roxanne, good to see your pins. (I just remembered pins is an old-fashioned word for legs, but you know what I mean!) :-)

2. Maria
    January 28, 2012 | 4:24 am

I must share that I was on Pinterest and had to stop because it became a bit too much for me.

But it was fun for the time…

m.
    Maria recently posted..my little houseMy Profile

January 28, 2012 | 12:41 pm

Thanks Maria, I’ll definitely have to see how that works out.

January 28, 2012 | 4:49 am

Thanks but no thanks. I just joined Vimeo today because of the welsh potter Adam Buick’s amazing time-lapse photography videos he had posted. I write my blog, I follow over 50 blogs and about that many webcomics, and I’m at my time limit.
    WOL recently posted..A Little Free-hand LunchMy Profile

4. Ember
    January 28, 2012 | 8:03 am

I think very visually, like make inspirational and aspirational “vision boards” for myself, and would find this enjoyable – but what about copyrights? At the present time I post on my blog only photos that belong to me. Surely images on the net are all the property of whoever took them? And apart from the rights and wrongs of it, I’d hate to find my happy little pinboard had landed me in a law suit. I realise other people do this all the time – Facebook is littered with folk who pinch copyright images for their ID, and post other people’s pics uncredited on their wall; but I’m not sure they’re wise to do so. Is this issue covered and I’m not aware of it, perhaps?
    Ember recently posted..Peace and lightMy Profile

January 28, 2012 | 12:54 pm

Hi Ember, this is a really good question, which I must admit I hadn’t thought of! I just checked the Pinterest site, and here’s a link to their copyright policy: http://pinterest.com/about/copyright/
      The way it works is that all photos you “pin” unless they’re your own automatically link back to the site you found them on, so in that way they give credit to the original poster. But of course that relies on the original poster not themselves having infringed copyright.
      I guess also there are different copyright laws in different countries and the internet is borderless, which complicates matters (although Pinterest, being American, acts under US copyright law).
      In terms of images on blog posts: what I do, because I tend not to have many of my own photos, is to use photos from Flickr published under a Creative Commons License (http://creativecommons.org/). There are different kinds of license but I search photos requiring an attribution license. This means that so long as you add a link back to the photographer on Flickr (who themselves set the type of license), everything is fine. Another blogger put me on to that method and I must say it’s a very good way of putting visual interest on a blog and re-sharing the excellent work from Flickr photographers.

• Ember
        January 28, 2012 | 3:40 pm

Thanks, that’s most helpful general information as well as with reference to this post :0)
        Ember recently posted..Our kitchenMy Profile

5. Janie
    January 28, 2012 | 2:12 pm

Definitely on Pinterest..been there for a long time, as you will see if you check my boards

I actually have to limit my time..it is like giant Vision Boards!! LOVE it!
    As far as it being female? ..a guy runs it. And guys could very easily be there if they wanted to..I am sure most sites today have Pinterst links.
    Janie recently posted..Etta JamesMy Profile

January 28, 2012 | 4:35 pm

Hi Janie, thanks for the comment, just heading over to check out your boards. Had a quick glance at your blog and will read more later, but wanted to say I’m a fellow Etta James fan – she was one of the greats.

• Janie
        January 28, 2012 | 9:37 pm

Glad to have you. I haven’t written much lately on the blog. And my camera broke so I am kind of bummmed…You are certainly welcomed..
        Janie recently posted..Etta JamesMy Profile

6. Lee
    February 21, 2012 | 10:06 pm

Like so many people, my first reaction to hearing about Pinterest was, “oh no, not ANOTHER social media site to keep up with.” But it turned out to be love at first sight. Beyond being visual, what a Huffington Post article suggested was a differentiator is that its not so much “look at me” (FB and Twitter) and “look at this.” It’s a content curation site and a very good one. I have a personal account (http://www.pinterest.com/leeneel and a business account http://www.pinterest.com/thefundraisingresource and am enjoying both as they have very different orientations.

February 22, 2012 | 6:19 pm

Hi Lee, welcome to my site and thanks for your comment. Yes, it was love at first sight for me too. And you make a really relevant point about it being content curation, not “look at me”! There’s such richness out there.
      By the way the link to you Fundraising Resource doesn’t seem to work, but you’ve given me an idea, I might set up a separate Pinterest account for the nonprofit I run.

7. Elizabeth
    December 9, 2012 | 4:39 pm

Yes I finally got talked into it by someone who was counseling me on promotion for my business. I am getting a new computer and have begun a process of pulling a lot of photos off of my hard drive and putting them on pinterest: thus -

I must have some OCD in me. It is fascinating in an OCD kind of way. It is getting me thinking about subjects I like to think about and back to doing some writing. I am enjoying your “pins” –
    Elizabeth recently posted..Elizabeth Scupham — Structural IntegratorMy Profile

December 9, 2012 | 6:05 pm

Hello Beth, thanks for your comment, perhaps a little OCD is good! I’ve just been looking at your pins. Love the one especially that you’ve used as the cover for the Spiritual Direction board.