Are you rising? | Pilgrim's Moon

Are you rising?

One in three. One in three women will experience violence during their lifetimes.

Screw Valentine’s Day, today is V-Day, and One Billion are Rising all around the world, to break the chains binding women to violence.

Want to be inspired? Here are the women rising in San Francisco:

And remember, this all started with the vision of one woman, Eve Ensler. One person can make a difference – what difference will you make?

7 Responses to Are you rising?
    February 14, 2013 | 5:27 pm

There is ironically an inborn heart-shaped method to break the chain of oppression. First the loving kindness to forgive and rescue oneself, and then compassion for all who are trapped in a blind society so fixated on gender and sexuality we can’t even begin to expand our landscape into flights beyond. There is an ad used on a Tennis channel I watch sometimes of young college girls in a library who are supposed to be studying, but are oohing over super-high heeled shoes (I can relate), which they see at a store on the screen of their computer. But the ad subtly seems to suggest that the privilege of the studies all round them are supposed boring and holding them back somehow. It isn’t one against the other, young or old, pretty or not, everyone can read books, or get on the Internet where there is now a free University, hooray, and take a course, and in a thousand ways truly thrill to learn. The free University is taught by college professors who contribute their time, a very young idea (founded by Daphne Koller and Andrew Ng) and really fantastic and amazingly inclusive. See coursera.org

2. Tess Giles Marshall
    February 14, 2013 | 9:18 pm

Great comment Sarah, I love what you say about it not being either/or. And THANK YOU for the introduction to http://www.coursera.org

3. Donna~Q~
    February 15, 2013 | 7:13 am

Yup! I was in a beautiful group dancing to “break the chain” in Doylestown, Pa. today. It was awesome! Video on my page (and here if the link works…) http://youtu.be/2ZGXxn9zs78
    Donna~Q~ recently posted..Hello 2013!My Profile

February 17, 2013 | 1:38 pm

Wow, just watched your video Donna – fantastic!

• Donna~Q~
        February 18, 2013 | 6:33 am

It was wonderful to be a part of it. The group I danced with was composed of a very diverse array of women ~ all of them took the time to get together for a good cause. Inspiring!
        Donna~Q~ recently posted..1 Billion RisingMy Profile

4. Bobbi
    February 16, 2013 | 6:27 pm

What a fantastic thing !! I know a few women who have been through horrendous random “things” and could not obtain help since everything was a “he said-she said” — seems unless you are beaten nothing is done – and then there are those who are trapped in chains that they have no idea how to break – I feel that one can be extremely educated in many ways but unless the message from our culture is changed – the chains are tough to break – Thank your post and bringing this to my attention – I wonder if my area had something going on – and thanks to Donna for the information !
    Bobbi recently posted..WISHCASTING WEDNESDAYMy Profile

February 17, 2013 | 1:39 pm

Bobbi, absolutely right, it is a fantastic thing. Your comment is spot on about how we can be educated in many ways, but the message remains the same.