Sunday Collection: International Women’s Day

Caro-SparkIs it me or is International Women’s Day losing its meaning? Last Friday, I felt a certain ennui reading all the self-serving contributions from political and business leaders. Are we turning our backs on what the Day should represent?

Corporate women

The official site is sponsored by BP, another energy company, and financial institutions, with “gender equality” pages published by accountancy firms, media businesses and government (as well as charities and special interest groups).

I know the arguments: the involvement of big business is crucial because it’s the only way women’s interests won’t be sidelined, because only big business has the klout to make policies which give women equal opportunities and pay. That women who are successful in business will make their effect felt in politics and boardrooms around the world.

Perhaps I’m just hankering after the heady idealism of the days when the personal was political and we were going to reform the world, not join the enemy!

Big media

Left-wing media in the UK didn’t disappoint on Friday, with a couple of interesting contributions from The Guardian which particularly caught my eye. The first was an interactive timeline map of the world showing when each women in each country got the right to vote, to stand for election and when the first woman was elected. It’s very interesting. Click here to take a look.

The second Guardian piece was a series of interviews with women and men around the world on the topic of gender violence. I haven’t read them all, but there are some incredibly moving stories, told by courageous people.

HuffPost came up trumps with a piece called 7 Sadly Disturbing Truths About Women’s Bodies (HOW YOU CAN HELP) which does exactly what it says on the tin, covering horrors like female genital mutilation, rape and infant mortality AND giving some suggestions for action.

On the blogs

It seems I’m not the only party pooper on the topic of International Women’s Day.

Echidne of the Snakes begins a really interesting post (with some good links) thus:

The meaning of this day seems to be changing to something a little like Mothers’ Day.  I spot people congratulating women on this day and such.  That’s not the intention of the day.  It also feeds directly into the argument that having a day for women but not a special set-aside day for men is sexist.

Read the whole thing here.

And Emily Lakdawalla has this to say in the same context:

For me, celebrating me or any other woman today only serves to emphasize that to be a woman is still considered to be “other.” It should not be exceptional that I am a woman in science; it should not be something worth celebrating. It should just be. The fact that it is still considered exceptional and something about which awareness needs to be raised with a special day is something I want to mourn, not celebrate.

To read the whole post click here.

On a lighter note, British feminist blog The F Word tells us the story of early 20th century Liverpool footballer Lily Parr, “the woman with a kick like a mule, a chain-smoking habit, and as many career goals as Pele…” I love hearing stories about women like this. Read it here.

And finally, at Feministe I found the song One Woman – singers and musicians coming together from around the world to sing with one voice. Here’s the video

(link here for email subscribers who can’t see it above)

That’s all for now. Let me know what you think of International Women’s Day, and  have a great week everyone!

Photo credit: Caro Spark

13 Responses to Sunday Collection: International Women’s Day
  1. Patricia
    March 10, 2013 | 9:54 pm

I am way out of tune here. I didn’t know there was such a day! Not sure what I think about it.
    Patricia recently posted..Sunday, like what I do…My Profile

March 11, 2013 | 12:27 am

Wanted to direct your attention to this:

Applies to International Women’s day obliquely. We are all aware of these overt means of exploiting women, but women are exploited in many subtle ways as well. We are all aware that (but not the full extent to which) our concept of what our bodies “should” look like is manipulated by big business to sell “beauty” products. This provocative photographer, Ione Rucquoi, explores feminine body image. Do watch the film. Her comment about how both adolescent girls and boys viewed a series of pictures of breasts was sobering.
    WOL recently posted..A Calendar of TalesMy Profile

March 11, 2013 | 7:33 pm

This photographic project, and Ione’s work, is amazing, thank you so much for posting it here. I agree with what she says about the views of adolescent boys and girls. I think things in respect of body image, in young people especially, are changing for the worse, probably because now it is easy to “fix” things if only you have the money.

3. Sarah Whitworth
    March 11, 2013 | 3:12 pm

Tess, it was your link that sent me over to Feminism and Religion a while back. Thank you for that, and have a look for a celebration of Women’s Day — in today’s post at F&R with the most remarkable reworking of the Lord’s Prayer, by Carol P. Christ, absolutely fantastic !!!

March 11, 2013 | 7:34 pm

I’ve just read it Sarah, thank you, and I agree it is absolutely fantastic, what a treasure! (I also rather like the look of those Goddess Rosaries as well, did you see?

4. Sarah Whitworth
    March 11, 2013 | 7:50 pm

Yes, there’s one with an emblem of the Goddess with her hands in prayer and shaped like a heart too, so lovely. I used to say the Rosary, but that was long ago, I have to think about taking up that way of meditation again, the new Mother’s Prayer would be great to work with.

• Alison Wiley
      March 15, 2013 | 2:39 pm

Sarah, this is the first I’ve heard of the new Mother’s Prayer. Sounds important. Tess, maybe you’d consider posting about this?
      Alison Wiley recently posted..The Gorgeous Dance of Rattlesnakes MatingMy Profile

March 15, 2013 | 7:47 pm

Alison you’re reading my mind. Look out for this coming Sunday Collection!

5. Sibylle Batten
    March 11, 2013 | 11:41 pm

Still remember fondly the Reclaim the Night marches I used to go on. Seems a lifetime away.

• Alison Wiley
      March 15, 2013 | 2:41 pm

Sibylle, I love that you mention this. In the U.S. it’s called “Take Back The Night”, and it’s dear enough to my heart that one of the characters in my novel (Revelle) wears a Take Back The Night t-shirt. Good stuff.

March 15, 2013 | 2:37 pm

What a dynamite post. Excellent stuff. I’m especially impressed with how well-read you are on the internet on this topic, i.e. all the good links. My favorite part: But “family-friendly policies” make not one iota of difference to the basic premise that multinationals are not person-friendly or planet-friendly, let alone woman friendly.”

March 15, 2013 | 7:48 pm

Thanks Alison, glad you liked what I said. I really believe there are better alternatives.